Monday, March 25, 2019

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. It Should Be A Bigger Deal


It's finally here! I've got to say, Sekiro does not disappoint. Overall this should be very short review because there's not a whole lot to talk about. Sekiro is an absolutely amazing game. It looks great, feels great, and that's because it is great. The amount of detail is remarkable. Level design, graphics, even the music is well done. On top of that I feel like I'm following the story for once, and it's very enjoyable to see characters progress, including Wolf. The game itself is huge with versatile enemies and several ways to go about killing them. Personally I'm someone who tends not to use the prosthetic tools and I stealth kill just about every enemy. It's not that the prosthetic tools aren't good, it's just that I tend to shy away from items and things that have "limited" uses, even though you find plenty of spirit emblems. Because of this I'm capped with 999 spirit emblems in storage.

Combat is a lot of fun, but hard to get a handle on. I've been playing now for 35 hours and I still struggle with the "danger" prompts. I like though that the way to avoid an attack is to actually do something so you aren't in the way of the attack. If the enemy strikes low, jump. If they thrust, dodge to the side (or use the mikiri counter ability if you have it). Unlike Dark Souls where you roll with "invincibility frames", parts of the dodge where you are cannot be hit, Sekiro actually has you get out of the way of being hit. That or you can block or deflect attacks.

The only problem I have with the game is that when I'm in a fight and am using a lot of buttons, blocking is not one of Sekiro's priorities. What I mean is that if I'm moving and I hold the button to block, I'll keep moving instead. I want to hold the block button and have it override all other commands. Instead I have to make sure I'm not trying to do anything else otherwise he won't do it and I start getting torn apart. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

I don't want to say a ton about the game, I'd rather that you get it and enjoy it for yourself. I will say that I love it though. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice does not disappoint. It does not feel like Dark Souls but I enjoy it just as much. I 100% recommend getting it and playing it too much, cause that's what I've been doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment